[systemd-devel] User configs, BTRFS subvolume for /home and automatic service start during boot?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Fri May 4 04:57:28 UTC 2018

03.05.2018 22:07, Thorsten Schöning пишет:

> I'm looking for alternatives[2] now and thought of user configs. The
> good thing is that my service files seem to be properly available to
> systemd if I login e.g. using SSH, the status of the service is loaded
> and I'm able to start it manually. But I have trouble getting systemd
> to automatically start the service during boot and even during SSH
> login.
>
> I'm pretty sure to already have use the suggested "loginctl enable-linger ...",
> but might have some error somewhere of course. But it might as well be
> that the subvolume /home itself is making trouble here again. In the
> end, there's the following sentence in the docs which doesn't
> distinguish between system wide and user configs:>
> So, are user configs for systemd supported to be placed on a non-root
> file system

I would say "yes", at least I do not see anything that prevents it.

> AND be started during boot time?

User services may be started by user instance which is started normally
by the first user session (which is not necessarily user login) and
stopped when the last user session ends. Or you can enable linger in
which case user instance will be started on boot.

Which services will actually be started depends on this user's
configuration, which services are enabled. It sounds like you may not
have enabled them or at least not enabled for the correct top-level target.