[systemd-devel] GPL and unit/conf files

Paul Jakma paul at jakma.org
Fri May 11 13:21:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

logind.conf has a GPL header, as do things like getty at .service.

If I needed to make changes to logind.conf, and wanted to bundle a
modified logind.conf with a GPL-incompatible application, is that
allowed? Similarlty, if I wanted to replace getty at .service with my own
console handler, can I start with a modified getty at .service unit file to
launch it and bundle that with said application?

Is each setting in those files copyrighted? Or is there some threshold,
where if I re-use enough of those settings in my file, that the GPL
applies? Are certain combinations of settings in logind.conf or such
unit files copyrighted?

Does it even make sense to put these settings/config files under the
GPL? If a copyright notice is required, might the FSF all-permissive
licence be better for such files?

(https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html)

regards,
--