[systemd-devel] systemd blocks update kernel partition table

Jérémy Rosen jeremy.rosen at smile.fr
Thu Nov 22 08:47:23 UTC 2018

systemd creates .device for any partition it finds, but that doesn't
mean the partition is mounted.

You should trust "mount" in this case. Your partition is not mounted and
I don't think this is a systemd problem. People on the yocto side are
probably more able to help

now, that being said, I am not sure what "the kernel partition table" is
in this context. I assume parted is trying to refresh the way the kernel
sees the partitions on the eMMC and fails, which would be a pure kernel
problem.

If you repartition your eMMC and then reboot on the sd-card, does your
kernel see the partitions correctly ?
It kinda seems to me that everything is working fine here, and that the
message is a red herring...

On 21/11/2018 23:38, e-stl at gmx.de wrote:
> Sorry for my html mail before!
>
> Hi list,
> i'm new to systemd and are working with an embedded device with yocto.
>
> In my embedded device i want to format and store my emmc device with the new firmware. When updating the firmware the device boots from SD card.
>
> When updating the firmware i want to (re)partition my emmc storage device with parted and 3 ext4 partitions. None of the partitions is mounted, because the device boots from SD card.
> When the emmc already contains a partition table parted complains that it can't update the kernel partition table after it was modified.
> It seems these partitions are already mounted anywhere. partprobe doesn't help either.
>
> But i don't mount them and when i check for mounted partitions by mount command, none of them is mounted. The only thing i see is that systemd has created device units for these partitions. In syslog i see that the ext4 partition is recognized (also in /sys/fs/ext4 available). I assume that the systemd device units block the update of the kernel partition table.
>

> I need to modify, format and fill the partitions on the emmc without booting after the new partition table is written.
>   My question is: What/is systemd blocking the update of the kernel partition table and what can i do to prevent it?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Eberhard

SMILE <http://www.smile.eu/>

20 rue des Jardins
92600 Asnières-sur-Seine

*Jérémy ROSEN*
Architecte technique
Responsable de l'expertise Smile-ECS

email jeremy.rosen at smile.fr <mailto:jeremy.rosen at smile.fr>
phone +33141402967
url http://www.smile.eu

Twitter <https://twitter.com/GroupeSmile> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/smileopensource> LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/smile> Github
<https://github.com/Smile-SA>

Découvrez l’univers Smile, rendez-vous sur smile.eu
<http://smile.eu/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=signature>

eco Pour la planète, n'imprimez ce mail que si c'est nécessaire