[systemd-devel] How safe are D and R directives for systemd-tmpfiles?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 16 14:37:29 UTC 2018

On Di, 16.10.18 20:03, Amish (anon.amish at gmail.com) wrote:

> But is there a config file where this can be mentioned? (separate prefix for
> create and remove)

This is not available right now, and what'd be the usecae for that?

> OR can the default unit file be changed?
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/units/systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service.in

You can certainly change it downstream. Simply copy it to
/etc/systemd/system, and edit it there. It will then take precedence.

> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> RemainAfterExit=yes
> EnvironmentFile=/etc/systemd/systemd-tmpfiles.env
> ExecStart=@rootbindir@/systemd-tmpfiles --create --boot
> --exclude-prefix=/dev $CREATEPREFIX
> ExecStart=@rootbindir@/systemd-tmpfiles --remove --boot
> --exclude-prefix=/dev $REMOVEPREFIX
> SuccessExitStatus=65 73

It's totally OK if packages drop in tmpfiles.d/ snippets that remove
stuff below /var at boot. Make the change above to the default files
does not appear desirable to me, as it would break these very valid
usecases.