[systemd-devel] Upower service fails to start

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 16 15:08:15 UTC 2018

On Di, 16.10.18 11:20, Malcolm White (wishbone42111 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE on a x86-64 desktop. The system
> was updated (zypper dup) today, but I've been having an issue with the
> upower service for a couple of months and have not been able to discover a
> resolution amongst the openSUSE community.
>
> The underlying cause appears to be a namespacing problem as it effects both
> upower and systemd-localed in similar manner. Please refer to snapshots from
> #systemctl and #journalctl -xe output below.
>
> pepper:/var/log/zypp # service upower start
> Job for upower.service failed because the control process exited with error
> code.
> See "systemctl status upower.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>
> pepper:/usr/lib/systemd # systemctl status upower.service
> ● upower.service - Daemon for power management
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/upower.service; disabled; vendor
> preset: disabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-10-16 10:10:36 BST; 1h
> 6min ago
>      Docs: man:upowerd(8)
>   Process: 18931 ExecStart=/usr/lib/upower/upowerd (code=exited,
> status=226/NAMESPACE)
>  Main PID: 18931 (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

Hmm, interesting. I wonder how that failed. Any chance you can run
this with debug logging in systemd turned on (i.e. "systemd-analyze
log-level debug", then retry to start the service). Anything
interesting in the logs about the attempted but failed start?

Do you have any weird mounts in place? By "weird" I mean fuse stuff or
such? Does it work if you unmount them?