[systemd-devel] Default on failure dependencies

Baudouin Feildel baudouin_systemd at feildel.fr
Sat Sep 15 20:32:45 UTC 2018

Hello there,

Few weeks ago I opened the following issue in systemd repository:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/9373. Seeing no traction from
existing systemd developer, I decided to give it a try and started
working on the feature I wanted in the following fork:
https://github.com/AMDG2/systemd/tree/wip-feature-default-on-failure.

I have the following problems/questions:

- I don't know how to load properly the default on failure dependencies
- I don't know which kind of tests I should write, nor how to write them

About the loading of the default on failure dependencies, I am not sure
I should reproduce what is done when the unit is loading its own
dependencies. Will pid1 be able to load units when parsing the manager
config file?

I could also just keep the list as it is (just a list of string) and
lazy load the unit on the first time they are needed, but is it worth it?

What is your suggestion on the best time and way to load the default on
failure dependency list?

About the test i didn't find documentation on how to write a new test,
which part of a PR should be tested. Does such documentation exists?

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards
Baudouin FEILDEL