[systemd-devel] exim4 only queues mails sent by systemd service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 24 08:32:30 UTC 2018

On So, 23.09.18 22:48, Kamil Jońca (kjonca at o2.pl) wrote:

> It is something strange with sending mails from systemd system service:
> assume we have service file /etc/systemd/system/mailtest.service:

> [Unit]
> Description="Test maili"
> [Service]
> #User=kjonca
> NoNewPrivileges=false
> Type=oneshot
> ExecStart=-zsh -c 'echo xxx|mail news'
> ExecStart=-zsh -c 'echo xxx|mutt -F /dev/null -s subject -e \'set copy=no\' kjonca'
>
> When I call
> sudo systemctl start mailtest.service
> Two messages are put in exim queue, but not deliveried immediately.
> Why? What am I missing?

Uh, this looks like something you need to ask the exim community,
systemd can't make exim mail queueing decisions, that's entirely
internal to exim.

One question though: are you sure you have started the exim service
properly beforehand? I am pretty sure exim won't process the mail
queue if it's not running...