[systemd-devel] exim4 only queues mails sent by systemd service

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:04:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:35 AM Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> On So, 23.09.18 22:48, Kamil Jońca (kjonca at o2.pl) wrote:
>
> > It is something strange with sending mails from systemd system service:
> > assume we have service file /etc/systemd/system/mailtest.service:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > [Unit]
> > Description="Test maili"
> > [Service]
> > #User=kjonca
> > NoNewPrivileges=false
> > Type=oneshot
> > ExecStart=-zsh -c 'echo xxx|mail news'
> > ExecStart=-zsh -c 'echo xxx|mutt -F /dev/null -s subject -e \'set
> copy=no\' kjonca'
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >
> > When I call
> > sudo systemctl start mailtest.service
> > Two messages are put in exim queue, but not deliveried immediately.
> > Why? What am I missing?
>
> Uh, this looks like something you need to ask the exim community,
> systemd can't make exim mail queueing decisions, that's entirely
> internal to exim.
>
> One question though: are you sure you have started the exim service
> properly beforehand? I am pretty sure exim won't process the mail
> queue if it's not running...

exim's a bit oldschool, and whenever you pipe a message to 'sendmail', it
immediately forks a worker to deliver the message synchronously, regardless
of the main daemon running.

(I think this behavior is slightly ugly. It can be disabled by setting
'queue_only=yes', but... it's probably necessary because the main daemon
only processes its queue every x minutes and won't notice queued messages
for a while.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas