[systemd-devel] exim4 only queues mails sent by systemd service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 24 18:38:30 UTC 2018

On Mo, 24.09.18 20:34, Kamil Jońca (kjonca at o2.pl) wrote:
> >     This didn't work well enough IIRC, but if it did, then it'd provide almost postfix-like architecture.
> >
> > Or just making 'sendmail' send a SIGALRM to the main daemon would do the job perfectly well, I suspect...
>
> But I still does not know, where is the problem, why exim doest not play
> well with systemd ...

Here's an educated guess: your script terminates, so that that systemd
decides your service has ended. In such a case it kills any left-over
processes of the service, and this will include the exim process
forked off into the bg, because it is attributed to your script's
context.

Thus the exim queue runner might be forked off, but it wil be
immediately terminated by systemd again...

It's one of the reasons why exim shouldn't do what it is doing
there. Running priv daemon code as forked bg children from differently
privileged user code is just a massively bad idea.