[systemd-devel] transient hang when starting cryptography setup for swap

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Apr 1 00:04:25 UTC 2019

I wonder if this is related to the late random seed loading, or
possible a race with it? I'd expect only cryptsetup needing a key
derived from unrandom would need random data; yet I'm seeing the hang
always after cryptsetup and mkswap succeeds with the hang happening
after mkswap succeeds without a corresponding swapon. I'm beginning to
wonder if it's a kernel bug, but even with Fedora debug kernels I'm
not seeing any information that explains these long gaps in the
journal.

[   14.623373] flap.local systemd[1]:
var-lib-systemd-random\x2dseed.mount: Collecting.
[   25.319006] flap.local audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0
auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0
msg='unit=systemd-random-seed comm="systemd"
exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=?
res=success'
[   25.336505] flap.local systemd[582]: systemd-random-seed.service:
Executing: /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-random-seed load

The first one seems late in startup; and then it's not for ~10s later
that it's really executed.

--
Chris Murphy