[systemd-devel] How to ensure a systemd unit waits for ntpd to sync before starting?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 2 13:21:35 UTC 2019

On Di, 02.04.19 12:53, Marc Haber (mh+systemd-devel at zugschlus.de) wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 12:32:58PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I thought people have noticed by now that systemd is really about
> > removing unnecessary shell scripts from all clean system boot
> > codepaths.
>
> The problem is that millions of professional systems administrators do
> violently disagree.

Right.

> I have seen unit files full of bash -c and quoting hell. Your work. Be
> proud of it.

Hmm? if you want to run a shell script from a .service file, you are
welcome to. Not sure why you would squish a shell script into
bash -c line. I mean, if you want a shell script, use a shell script,
there's nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I think you fundamentally disagree with the approach we took
of having declarative unit files describing services instead of having
Turing complete programming languages for everything. At this point
that discussion is moot, and you are not going to convince us
anyway. Moreover it's off-topic to this mail list thread, hence please
let's end this subthread here. Thank you for understanding.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin