[systemd-devel] Using systemd.offline-updates from an ostree based system

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Apr 26 15:18:56 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I think /etc is the only guaranteed to be writable location that's
> generic to all ostree systems. If possible, I'd get systemd to honor
> /etc/system-update.

I think /etc seems sane for this but the other option that Lennart raised also seems valid, which is to use what we call in OSTree land the "physical /" which appears as /sysroot in a booted system.

That said we have plans to clamp down on processes other than a very few doing things outside of /etc/ and /var, see https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/issues/1265

(It'd just be a read-only mount, and nothing stops processes from mounting it writable, but the idea is that tools that don't understand ostree e.g. grubby would cease to do the wrong thing)