[systemd-devel] need some help understanding systemd-based initramfs

Ellis contact at xogium.me
Mon Apr 29 15:06:49 UTC 2019

Hi,
after some manual testing on my end, I can confirm two things:

1. systemd really takes care of /run as it should
and 2. I still have no log prior to 'received sigterm from PID 1' when
the real root is booted up.

I intentionally messed up my kernel cmdline giving it a wrong rootfs
partition, was dropped into emergency mode, created a directory named
testing in /run, mounted the right filesystem for /sysroot, typed exit,
booted up to real root, /run/testing is still there.

However I noticed that /run/log was empty, both in the initrd and in the
real root.

So, I'm even more confused.

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it