[systemd-devel] service fails to use the latest value of the slice

TARANA, YASHASHVI yashashvi.tarana at hpe.com
Tue Aug 6 08:58:44 UTC 2019

Hi Lennart,

Thank you for getting back. I just subscribed to the systemd-devel mailing list and hence I'm resending the mail.

We were following below article to get around the situation where a process fails to get realtime priority on a system once the CPUAccounting is enabled.
https://access.redhat.com/articles/3696121

It suggests to create your own slice and use it for your service.

We would like to handle a situation where there are 2 such slices (A.slice & B.slice, created by different applications) on the system.

Sample: test.service
	[Service]
	ExecStart=/root/test start
	ExecStop=/root/test stop
	Type=oneshot
	RemainAfterExit=yes

Here, the binary at ExecStart (test) requires realtime priority.

Scenario 1:
---------------
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Suppose I have 2 slices, A.slice (cpu.rt_runtime_us value = 950000) and B.slice (cpu.rt_runtime_us  value = 0) 2. Currently the service test.service is attached to A.slice 3. Now I changed cpu.rt_runtime_us values for these slices:  A.slice to 0 and B.slice to 950000 (The values of A.slice and B.slice have been exchanged) 4. When I stop and start the service, binary at ExecStart determines that B.slice is the eligible slice and it updates the slice name in the configuration files and in drop-ins.
5. Updated slice information not reflected when start the binary and the start fails to set "realtime" priority.
6. Restart of the same service again works fine and attaches to correct slice (B.slice).

Is this expected behavior? Is there a way to reload the systemd configuration during runtime (i.e during systemctl start <>) ?

Scenario 2:

To work around the above problem in scenario 1 , I followed the below steps after step 3 above.

4. When I stop and start service again, the binary at Execstart determines the right slice( in this case, B.slice) and pushes its pid to B.slice tasks file(/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct/B.slice/tasks) in addition to updating the drop-ins.
5. The test service start successfully now but systemctl status test.service still shows that test.service is attached to the old slice (A.slice), although its pid is part of B.slice now.

I have below queries as part of Scenario 2:
  -  Is there a way to update the slice information for a service at runtime? Or by executing some command ?
 - Will it impact the CPUAccounting feature (which is enabled for both slices), since the pid is part of different slice(B.slice), but service still reflects A.slice?

Regards,
Yashashvi