[systemd-devel] Antw: systemd prerelease 243-rc2

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Aug 22 13:38:05 UTC 2019

>>> systemd tag bot <donotreply-systemd-tag at refi64.com> schrieb am 22.08.2019
um
13:56 in Nachricht <20190822115637.1.05C510C92B339AF7 at refi64.com>:
> A new systemd ☠️ pre-release ☠️ has just been tagged. Please download the
> tarball here:

>         * On 64 bit systems, the "kernel.pid_max" sysctl is now bumped to
>           4194304 by default, i.e. the full 22bit range the kernel allows,
> up
>           from the old 16bit range. This should improve security and
>           robustness, as PID collisions are made less likely (though

I doubt it's increasing robustness for any existing application as
pid_traditionally was 16 bit. I don't know if some applications try to
sprintf() a pid into a char[6], but if they do, it might cause an application
failure...

> certainly
>           still possible). There are rumours this might create
compatibility
>           problems, though at this moment no practical ones are known to
>           us. Downstream distributions are hence advised to undo this change

Now you know one ;-)

I still wonder why systemd has to mess with all these kernel variables BY
DEFAULT.

I think systemd is too complex already, and it's getting more complex every
release. I don't like those attempts to build another operating system in the
init process, but your opinions may vary.

Regards,
Ulrich