[systemd-devel] Antw: systemd prerelease 243-rc2

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 03:55:53 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019, 16:38 Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de>
wrote:

> 22.08.2019
> um
> 13:56 in Nachricht <20190822115637.1.05C510C92B339AF7 at refi64.com>:
> > A new systemd ☠️ pre-release ☠️ has just been tagged. Please download
> the
> > tarball here:
>

> >         * On 64 bit systems, the "kernel.pid_max" sysctl is now bumped to
> >           4194304 by default, i.e. the full 22bit range the kernel
> allows,
> > up
> >           from the old 16bit range. This should improve security and
> >           robustness, as PID collisions are made less likely (though
>
> I doubt it's increasing robustness for any existing application as
> pid_traditionally was 16 bit. I don't know if some applications try to
> sprintf() a pid into a char[6], but if they do, it might cause an
> application
> failure...

I've been using this value for at least 5 years, and did expect many issues
at first, but so far haven't encountered any at all.

(I do kind of suspect that if there are any programs affected by this and
without source code available, they would be so old that they wouldn't
really run on a bleeding-edge distro anyway...)