[systemd-devel] shutdown: how to tell systemd to stop a service before killing other processes

Hans-Dieter Doll Hans-Dieter.Doll at drb.insel.de
Sun Aug 25 16:57:14 UTC 2019

On shutdown we need to stop a service before systemd begins to kill all processes it does not know.
The service is a process supervisor similar to init, which controls all our applications.
Our applications must be terminated by this supervisor, otherwise data loss and inconsistencies will occur.

The problem is: aside from background processes started by the supervisor, we have applications started in a user
session, but which are also controlled by the supervisor.
This is something systemd cannot know, and thus it kills these applications in parallel to shutting down our service.
So we require systemd to wait for our service to terminate before it begins to kill other processes.

From an arch-linux thread in 2017 I concluded this is not possible due to the design of systemd.

But I cannot believe we are the only one requiring this.
So my question is: is there nowadays some mechanism available to accomplish this?

--
Hans-Dieter Doll
Dr. Brunthaler Industrielle Informationstechnik GmbH
mailto:Hans-Dieter.Doll at drb.insel.de
http://www.brunthaler.de

Geschäftsführer:       Prof. Dr.-Ing. Stefan Brunthaler
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister:       HRB 27 337 Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
--
Wir sind Mitglied des inilog Netzwerks - www.inilog.eu