[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: help: unmounting iscsi xfs filesystem without using netdev in /etc/fstab

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Tue Aug 27 22:57:22 UTC 2019

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019, Ulrich Windl wrote:
[...]
> > If you're not using the _netdev keyword, and systemd does not otherwise
> > think this is a remote filesystem, you will need to add this dependency
> > manually. You'll probably also want:
> >
> >     Wants=network‑online.target
> >     After=network‑online.target
>
> I wonder: Shouldn't that be remote-fs-pre.target?
> For example if the NFS client starts AFTER the network target is done, the
> remote filesystem will start concurrently. In most cases it may work well, but
> in general it won't.

Yes, I should have added After=remote-fs-pre.target to this message. It is
in the code as well (replacing After=local-fs-pre.target used on
non-_netdev mounts).

Note that mount units do *not* have a default Wants=remote-fs-pre.target
or Wants=local-fs-pre.target though. These targets are not automatically
added to the transaction. They are only added if something *else* pulls
them in (e.g. for iSCSI you would typically have an iscsi.service with
Before=remote-fs-pre.target and Wants=remote-fs-pre.target).