[systemd-devel] firewalld subject: allowing icmp echo-request

Andy Pieters systemd at andypieters.me.uk
Fri Dec 6 12:17:26 UTC 2019

Hi everyone

This is on Centos 7.7.1908 and firewalld 0.6.3

I could not find a firewalld-specific mailing list and I hope it is ok
to ask it here.

I wanted to allow pings on a LAN server and have tried a number [1] of
[2] different [3] things[4]. After adding the direct rules and
inspecting the iptables output, I see the direct rule that allows ICMP
ping is being matched (the packet counter increases), however the
packet is still being dropped somewhere.

The closest I have gotten to getting ping to work is by adding a
source to the trusted zone, but I do not want to add the entire
network to the trusted zone, nor relax the public zone to the point of
allowing everything just to make this echo working.

Any suggestions, please? Pointers to more suitable mailing lists also welcome.

Thank you

Andy

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/security_guide/sec-managing_icmp_requests
[2] https://www.tecmint.com/firewalld-rules-for-centos-7/2/