[systemd-devel] Issue on Ordering of systemd services during boot

TARANA, YASHASHVI yashashvi.tarana at hpe.com
Tue Dec 10 07:07:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have a systemd service A.service and socket B.socket and its corresponding service B.service with the following content:

               A.service
                              [Unit]
                              Description=A.service

                              [Service]
                              ExecStart=/root/test start
                              RemainAfterExit=true
                              ExecStop=/root/test stop
                              Type=simple

                              [Install]
                              WantedBy=multi-user.target

               B.socket
                              [Unit]
                              Description=B.socket
                              After=A.service
BindsTo=A.service

                              [Socket]
                              ListenDatagram=XXXX
                              Accept=No

                              [Install]
                              WantedBy=sockets.target

               B.service
                              [Unit]
                              Description=B.service
                              Requires=B.socket

                              [Service]
                              Type=simple
                              ExecStart=/root/test1
                              StandardInput=socket

                              [Install]
                              WantedBy=multi-user.target

I need B.socket to start only after A.service during boot. However, even after setting After=A.service and BindsTo=A.service in B.socket, sometimes B.socket is starting before A.service.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks and Regards,
Yashashvi