[systemd-devel] Cannot create 'home' directory systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service

Bao Nguyen baondt at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 11:57:53 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service throws a strange error when booting my system

.
Dec 30 11:32:53 mynode systemd-tmpfiles[751]: Failed to open directory
'home': No such file or directory
Dec 30 11:32:53 mynode systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service: Job
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service/start finished, result=failed
Dec 30 11:32:53 mynode systemd[1]: Failed to start Create Volatile
Files and Directories.

The error is solved when I start systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
manually again after booting completely. My system is boot up with
initrd RAM disk and I am quire sure there is a /home in my initrd. The
error only happens if I put a partition to /etc/fstab to mount it
during the boot time. If I do not put anything in /etc/fstab then
their is no error shown during starting up process. The content of
/etc/fstab does not relate any to 'home' folder, I just want to mount
a partition to a /mnt folder.

Could you please help to advise the reason of this? is there anything
related between /etc/fstab and systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
dependency?

Thanks
Brs,Naruto