[systemd-devel] Cgroups v2 delegation on a session scope

Nick Zavaritsky mejedi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:38:09 UTC 2019

> On Feb 4, 2019, at 12:28 PM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On So, 03.02.19 10:50, Nick Zavaritsky (mejedi at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> I was unable to figure out how to enable cgroups delegation on a
>> session scope, could you please provide some pointers?
>
> You currently cannot. […]
> However, even if we add that, this would not realistically work: on
> cgroupsv2 inner nodes cannot contain processes.

Point taken. For a developer workflow — writing code that takes advantage of cgroups api, running tests, and debugging it — systemd-run approach works just fine.

> Hmm? What's the command line you are using in detail?

$ systemd-run --user --tty id
Failed to create bus connection: No such file or directory

>> It fails with 'Failed to create bus connection: No such file or
>> directory’ message. According to strace, without —pipe it goes for
>> /run/user/1000/systemd/private which works, otherwise
>> /run/user/1000/bus is attempted, producing ENOENT.
>
> That suggests your dbus configuration is borked? Normally the user's
> dbus-daemon instance should listen on that socket.

Any suggestions on how to fix it (ubuntu)? I am ssh-ing into a VM without graphical window environment.

$ env | grep XDG
XDG_SESSION_ID=1
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000

Should I add dbus-daemon as a service to my user service scope?