[systemd-devel] How to speed up detection of emmc partition and mount the filesystem

Petr coran at atlas.cz
Mon Feb 4 19:22:49 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have custom linux on embedded machine generated with Buildroot using  emmc drive which contains  root filesystem on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 and application data on  /dev/mmcblk0p4. The root fileystem is mounted pretty quickly, but the
application data are mounted about 1.7s after systemd starts, the main reason is that the mmcbl0p4 is found by systemd
after 1.4s. As a workaround I created service that is executed right after the local-fs-pre.target which execute "mount
/dev/mmcblk0p4 /app" and that works, but I would like to know if there is correct way how to tell systemd that I want to
mount the root fs and application fs sooner than everything else (I believe that what I want is to tell systemd to mount
/dev/mmcblk0p4 without waiting for udev to find /dev/mmcblk0p4 as new device and start auto mount).

This log appears after 1.4s from systemd starts, but I need that device much sooner:

systemd[1]: Found device /dev/mmcblk0p4.

Thanks for any help and sorry if I forgot to mention something important or the solution is obvious, I'm new to systemd.

Petr