[systemd-devel] Mount a remote FS as a user

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 11 17:27:46 UTC 2019

On Mo, 11.02.19 15:59, Daniel Tihelka (dtihelka at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,
> I can mount a shared file system (sshfs in particular) as an ordinary user.
>
> Now I would like to have it handled by systemd on-demand (automount).
> However, creating the automount unit and starting it fails with error:

autofs (the kernel subsystem behin the .automount unit type) is
accessible to privileged clients only, and systemd --user is not
privileged in general. This means what you are trying to do is simply
not supported by the kernel.

We could start supporting this if the kernel would open up autofs for
unpriv clients, like it did for fuse mounts. However, I don't see that
happening any time soon.

Sorry!