[systemd-devel] Requires and After

Jonathon Kowalski bl0pbl33p at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:46:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 2, 2018, James Feeney wrote:

> Because, as far as I know, "Requisite=" is completely broken in systemd.

I am curious about how. I am aware that Requisite= will internally
create a job of JOB_VERIFY_ACTIVE job type and install it (on
start/restart (when it gets patched to start after JOB_DONE for
stop)), so there are races. In particular, the documentation says the
unit must be *active*. This means that starting in parallel produces
incorrect results depending on which job is chosen to be dispatched
first (which is why After= is crucial, so that the job is ordered
after theirs in the same transaction).

Hence, I fail to see what else is broken (and this is documented
behavior, so I'd say nothing is broken if you use Requisite= how it is
meant to be used).