[systemd-devel] sd-bus parameter names

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jan 6 17:40:21 UTC 2019

On Fr, 04.01.19 09:39, Giacinto Cifelli (gciofono at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to give my DBus parameters names other than the default
> arg_X for the introspection.
>
> Is it ok if I post some commits to do that, or is the feature excluded
> by choice?

It was excluded because the data is kinda redundant and I couldn't
come up with a sexy, convincing way how to denote this in the sources.

> - additional macros for adding the name strings.
> - processing of this additional information in bus-introspect.c,
> changing the introspect_write_arguments:
>       static int introspect_write_arguments(struct introspect *i,
> const char *signature, const char *direction, const char *names)
>   and related call in introspect_write_interface.

Adding this certainly makes, if you can come up with macro syntax that
makes this nice to read.

(I'd prefer if this would use \0 or so as separator though maybe,
given it sounds weird compiling in strings that the code first has to
parse, and if \0 is used as separator then things feel more
"pre-parsed" to me)

Anyway, by all means, please prep a patch set and submit as PR, and we
can continue discussions there!y