[systemd-devel] Bugfix release(s)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jan 14 16:01:05 UTC 2019

Am 14.01.19 um 16:48 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Mo, 14.01.19 08:43, Dave Reisner (d at falconindy.com) wrote:
>> systemd needs better release hygiene, not just a smattering of bugfix
>> releases. As a rolling release distro, we regularly find release-day
>> blockers. That's bad for everyone. v240 was particularly bad as 6 months
>> had elapsed since v239 (and over 3100 commits). That's the longest
>> timespan and most commits in any systemd release in its nearly 9 year
>> history.
>
> Well, that sounds as if you want to volunteer as release engineer? ;-)
>
> Thing is, we are understaffed. I too have a wishlist of things I'd
> like to see done, but with only two paid full-time upstream engineers
> there's only so much we can do.

please don't get me wrong again!

if i know my ressources and how they are limited that's the limit of new
features and big changes i can plan and achieve in a given amount of
time without sacrifice quality

one problem i don't understand is that most developers are focused on
features they can put in a list and point to it and find it boring to
optimize and polish the existing codebase while i personally have so
much more fun in the stuff i code to optimize it, make it faster, make
it bugfree, write tests and overall caress of what is already there

sadly system software on that low level is not my world starting with
the programming language and my time is limited too because of too much
daily stuff i need to care about, but still i don't get why so few
developers are not satisfied by polish and caress the codebase without
someone writing articles about new shiny things

if i stand behind something i don't need shoulder tap and be mentioned
somewhere as long as i konw that what i do has undoubtable worth and tap
my own shoulder is enough