[systemd-devel] Bugfix release(s)

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 14:54:53 UTC 2019

> On Mo, 14.01.19 08:43, Dave Reisner (d at falconindy.com) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:59:06AM +0100, Jan Synacek wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> since v240 didn't go too well, I would like to suggest that the next one
>>> (preferably two) release(s) are bugfix only. Please, consider it.
>> systemd needs better release hygiene, not just a smattering of bugfix
>> releases. As a rolling release distro, we regularly find release-day
>> blockers. That's bad for everyone. v240 was particularly bad as 6 months
>> had elapsed since v239 (and over 3100 commits). That's the longest
>> timespan and most commits in any systemd release in its nearly 9 year
>> history.
> Well, that sounds as if you want to volunteer as release engineer?;-)
>
> Thing is, we are understaffed. I too have a wishlist of things I'd
> like to see done, but with only two paid full-time upstream engineers
> there's only so much we can do.

Interesting what has happened to the rest?

Sometimes helps also just to reach out if things are getting to
understaffed/overwhelmed.

I'm pretty sure that those of us that partook in this journey from the
get go are still here in one form or another.

> If you (or anyone else in the community) would like to step up and
> maybe take a position of release engineer, working towards a clearer
> release cadence I think everybody would love you for that! I know I
> certainly would.
>
> But additional work is not going to be done without anyone doing it.

I would not mind partaking in such collaborated effort and at the same
time suggest that systemd adapts the upstream kernel release model and
ties it's upstream release cycle as close to the upstream kernel
releases as in one major release per kernel's development cycle release
no later then .rc7 with some middle ground fit's the project to quiet
down for that release.

With a long term goal here for the linux ecosystem being able to reach a
state in which every component that makes up the core/baseOS image (
getting system to boot and run ) and run on for whatever purpose can be
released as an single updated image for downstream to consume as an
update for their devices/distros and what not thou others opinions might
differ in that regard.

JBG