[systemd-devel] Bugfix release(s)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 16 18:46:13 UTC 2019

On Mi, 16.01.19 12:30, Ryan Gonzalez (rymg19 at gmail.com) wrote:

> I'd love to do this!

That'd be excellent! Thank you!

> To be clear, it'd basically automatically send out a message on new
> "freeze" tags and release?

I think it could be as simple as just sending out a mail to the
mailing list on every single tag. After all we only use tags for
releases so far, and we now want to use it for pre-releases too, but
in both cases such a msg makes sense.

To add a cherry on top a brief explanatory text along with it would be
great. For example, if a tag matching the regexp ^v[0-9]+$ is seen the
message should contain a blurb like this:

    🎆 A new, official systemd release has just 🎉 been 🎊 tagged
    🍾. Please download the tarball here:

    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/archive/$TAG.tar.gz

And in case the tag matches ^v[0-9]+-pre-.*$ may be this:

    A new systemd ☠️ pre-release☠️  has just been tagged. Please
    download the tarball here:

    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/archive/$TAG.tar.gz

    NOTE: This is ☠️ pre-release☠️ software. Do not run this on
    production systems, but please test this and report any issues you
    find to GitHub:

    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/new?template=Bug_report.md

Or something like that. But adding such a blurb is of course already
the second step, not needed really.

And if you feel really keen to make this nice, you could even pull the
NEWS file from the tagged version, truncate it before the second line
matching ^CHANGES WITH.*$ and include the result in the mail. if you
do that, then we can stop writing [RELEASE] mails, as this would
happen fully automatically, which would be excellent, of course!

But of course, that's all entirely up to you how much love you want to
give this ;-)