[systemd-devel] Notify type service as non-root user fails

Brian Kiesel bskiesel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 15:17:19 UTC 2019

I apologize if this was already answered.  My company might have blocked
the response.

I have a simple example of a service unit and bash script on rhel7 using
Type=notify that I was trying to get working.  When the service unit is
configured to  start the script as root things work as expected.  When
adding User=testuser it fails.  While the script initially starts (as seen
on process list), Journalct -xe reports many lines like the following and
the service eventually timesout.  I am not even clear what these referenced
PIDs are associated with as they don’t exist in the process list.

Jul 15 13:37:25 tstcs03.ingdev systemd[1]: Cannot find unit for notify
message of PID 7193.

Jul 15 13:37:28 tstcs03.ingdev systemd[1]: Cannot find unit for notify
message of PID 7290.

Jul 15 13:37:31 tstcs03.ingdev systemd[1]: Cannot find unit for notify
message of PID 7388.

Jul 15 13:37:34 tstcs03.ingdev systemd[1]: Cannot find unit for notify
message of PID 7480.

[Unit]

Description=My Test

[Service]

Type=notify

User=testuser

ExecStart=/home/iatf/test.sh

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

Test.sh (owned by testuser with execute permission)
#!/bin/bash

systemd-notify --status="Starting..."

sleep 5

systemd-notify --ready --status="Started"

while [ 1 ] ; do

  systemd-notify --status="Processing..."

  sleep 3

  systemd-notify --status="Waiting..."