[systemd-devel] Antw: sd_journal_send non-blocking call

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 08:06:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM Ulrich Windl <
Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Nachricht
> <5d2fc2f0.1c69fb81.214d0.1aca at mx.google.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using sd_journal_send api() api call to log messages on syslog
> server.
> > I see that this uses
> > sendmsg(fd, &mh, MSG_NOSIGNAL) call.
>
> Aren't syslog messages UDP anyway? When would an UDP send block?

No, program APIs use Unix sockets (/dev/log, /run/systemd/journal/socket).
You only get UDP when your local syslog daemon is configured to forward
elsewhere.

That said, both are datagram sockets, I'm not sure whether sending to Unix
dgram sockets can block or not?

> > Is there a provision of passing MSG_DONTWAIT flag to this.
> > or else have a separate api like sd_journal_send_non_blocking().
> > I want to use this call in an application where I cant make a blocking
> call
> > for logging.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Sent from Mail for Windows 10