[systemd-devel] journald deleting logs on LiveOS boots

Dave Howorth systemd at howorth.org.uk
Thu Jul 18 16:18:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 09:55:51 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 4:50 AM Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 14:32 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > > So far nothing I've tried gets me access to information that would
> > > give a hint why systemd-journald thinks there's no free space and
> > > yet it still decides to create a single 8MB system journal, which
> > > then almost immediately gets deleted, including all the evidence
> > > up to that point.
> >
> > Run journald under strace and check the results of the system calls
> > used to query space? (One way to run it under strace would be to
> > change the unit file to use "strace -D -o /run/output
> > systemd-journald" as the process to start.)
>
> It's a good idea but strace isn't available on Fedora live media. So I
> either have to learn how to create a custom live media locally (it's a
> really complicated process) or convince Fedora to add strace to live
> media...

I'm not a fedora user, but I don't think it's that difficult to run
strace.

To run it once, start your live image and type:

# yum install strace

You will need to reinstall it if you reboot.

To permanently install it apparently you need to configure your USB
with persistent storage. I haven't looked up how to do that.