[systemd-devel] journald deleting logs on LiveOS boots

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 22:36:03 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 10:18 AM Dave Howorth <systemd at howorth.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 09:55:51 -0600
> > Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> > > It's a good idea but strace isn't available on Fedora live media. So I
> > > either have to learn how to create a custom live media locally (it's a
> > > really complicated process) or convince Fedora to add strace to live
> > > media...
> >
> > I'm not a fedora user, but I don't think it's that difficult to run
> > strace.
> >
> > To run it once, start your live image and type:
> >
> > # yum install strace
> >
> > You will need to reinstall it if you reboot.
> >
> > To permanently install it apparently you need to configure your USB
> > with persistent storage. I haven't looked up how to do that.
>
> I thought about that, but this is a substantial alteration from the
> original ISO in terms of the storage layout and how everything gets
> assembled. But it's worth a shot. If it is a systemd bug, then it
> should still reproduce. If it doesn't reproduce, then chances are it's
> some kind of assembly related problem.
>
> Still seems like a systemd-journald bug that neither forward to
> console nor to kmsg includes any useful systemd or dracut debugging.

I'm no systemd expert by any means, and just a Fedora user because we ship
our product on RHEL, so I like to see what is coming down the pipe.
Nonetheless, I have been following this thread with interest since threads
I always follow on LKML refer to the kernel's shitty print to console
implementation that sucks so bad and well, it might cross boundaries..

Not to toss knives, but I would almost always blame RedHat before anyone
else in the community - they do have a tendency to bastardize things in
ways that suit themselves.  Please do not take that as a jab, it just is
what it is - like I said - I have just learned to accept it.

I am assuming you have ripped apart the initramfs to see exactly how RedHat
is invoking systemd in the live images?

-Greg