[systemd-devel] vconsole for handicapped or older people

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 11:33:13 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 2:20 PM hp4everything <hp4everything at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> getting older I'm nearly not able to read the text on a virtual console.
> I'm working with opensuse tumbleweed on a laptop and was able to
> configure the KDE screen for my needs, but not the vconsole.
>
> Google told me that probably systemd is responsible for vconsole-
> configuration, but in vconsole.conf there seem to be options for me
> to make the text readable:
>
> - the preconfigured font "eurlatgr" has no fontsize-option
> - vconsole.conf has no fontsize-parameter

The console fonts aren't scalable – each font file in
/usr/share/kbd/consolefonts has exactly one size AFAIK. So there is no
point in having a separate fontsize option because that's already part of
the file name (fontname).

For example, if you install the Terminus font, you select the size using
FONT=ter-v20n, FONT=ter-v22b, FONT=ter-v24n, etc. It's up to each font to
provide these variants.

(The largest "stock" font is probably sun12x22, but its charset coverage
isn't great.)

> - vconsole.conf has no screen-resolution parameter
> - vconsole.conf has no parameter to select a framebuffer, e.g 1052x768

The kernel will activate a framebuffer automatically as soon as a KMS video
driver is loaded (such as i915 or radeon). You can specify the screen
resolution using the "video=1024x768" kernel boot option (e.g. via GRUB).

This doesn't require systemd-vconsole and generally happens automatically
as soon as udev starts. (Possibly even during the initramfs? I use
early-KMS on Arch, no idea how that's done on SuSE.)

On the other hand, if you're using the proprietary nVidia drivers, I'm not
sure if those support a framebuffer at all?

--
Mantas Mikulėnas