[systemd-devel] Fwd: pci card network interfaces incorrectly named as onboard

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jul 23 15:23:22 UTC 2019

On Mo, 22.07.19 14:09, Stuart Hayes (stuart.w.hayes at gmail.com) wrote:

> I've got a system on which systemd is incorrectly naming plug-in PCIe
> network card interfaces as onboard (eg, eno33) instead of with the PCI slot
> number (eg, ens2f0).
>
> Looking at the source, it looks like the network device naming will, by
> default, generate an onboard network name for any device that has an
> acpi_index in sysfs.  However, acpi_index is present for any network device
> which has a _DSM in ACPI for naming the PCI/PCIe device (as described in
> section 4.6.7 of the PCI Firmware Spec v3.2)--and this _DSM is not intended
> to be used only for onboard network interfaces.  (The implementation note
> for this _DSM in the firmware spec shows, as an example, what this _DSM
> might return for a network card plugged into a PCIe slot.)
>
> The best solution that I've thought of so far is to make systemd prefer the
> naming for the slot (ID_NET_NAME_SLOT) over the naming for an onboard
> device (ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD), if both exist.  Does that sound like a
> reasonable solution?

Well, are you suggesting to make such a change upstream?

Isn't this mostly a documentation issue? i.e. that we should say in
the docs, that the onboard slot might apply to more than strictly just
onboard?

I am very conservative with changing the order here, since doing so
defeats the whole purpose of the thing: stable names.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin