[systemd-devel] journald deleting logs on LiveOS boots

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jul 23 16:27:49 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 11:48 PM Ulrich Windl
<Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Nachricht
> <CAJCQCtSioWXDsVScyAdAKjotieT3Gc5dEactOBMUa=15j1SeaQ at mail.gmail.com>:

> >> Run journald under strace and check the results of the system calls
> >> used to query space? (One way to run it under strace would be to change
> >> the unit file to use "strace -D -o /run/output systemd-journald" as the
> >> process to start.)
> >
> > It's a good idea but strace isn't available on Fedora live media. So I
> > either have to learn how to create a custom live media locally (it's a
> > really complicated process) or convince Fedora to add strace to live
> > media...
>
> Wouldn't it be easer to scp the binary from a compatible system?

What binary? The problem with the strace idea is that /run/output is 0
length. There's nothing to scp. For whatever reason strace creates
/run/output but isn't writing anything to it. But based on this PR it
looks like some aspect of this problem is understood by systemd
developers.

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/13120

--
Chris Murphy