[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: failing unmounts during reboot

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 29 11:55:24 UTC 2019

On Mo, 29.07.19 08:16, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> in
> Nachricht <20190725113724.GC12912 at gardel-login>:

> >> Does systemd even try to use lsof?
> >
> > No, of course not. We tend to avoid hacks like that.
>
> And just repeating the unmount without further actions is not a
> hack?

Hmm? we tend to give up when we can't unmount something, log about it
and go on. We also have a second shutdown phase, which is a dumb and
brutal kill/umount loop that kills remaining processes and removes
mounts in a tight loop until nothing changes anymore. This second
phase is a safety net only though: it takes care of stuff that somehow
survive the first phase, i.e. the clean phase.

> Why not stop when unmount fails?

We do that.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin