[systemd-devel] Kafka Service Fails: Status=200/CHDIR

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 10:04:22 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 12:22 AM bart schroder <uhfai.brs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mantas,

Please include the mailing list when sending replies, don't turn this into
a private conversation.

> *Context:*
> I'm taking a Udemy course on Kafka - Kafka for Beginners.
>
> *Course Objective: Operate (Kafka) Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)*
> We're creating Systemd Services (Docker-Compose, Kafka, Zookeeper, etc.)
> to start (stop, etc.) our infrastructure components.
>
> *Verified:*
> I can manually start Kafka using the paths in the ExecStart declaration of
> the Kafka.service file. See new attached screenshot of successful start of
> kafka from /Home with the path copy/pasted from Kafka.service file in
> /etc/systemd/system.
>
> *Thoughts on cause of my fail response upon attempted start of
> Kafka.service?*

Again, you haven't shown any attempts to start kafka.service in your
docker-compose at kafka.service, a completely different unit. Whether Docker
indirectly uses kafka.service is irrelevant at this point – the CHDIR error
you've shown is generated directly by the startup of
*docker-compose at .service* itself, it did not propagate from some other unit
through several thick layers of extra software.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas