[systemd-devel] user service not starting on login

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Sun May 12 15:08:33 UTC 2019

Hey Mantas and others,

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 11:57 PM Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 5:22 AM Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe at d.umn.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am attempting to get a user service running on my session login.
>>
>> The unit is called jack. I've enabled it via:
>>
>> $ systemctl --user enable jack
>>
>> When I boot up the system and log in I see that it is inactive. I can
>> start it manually without issue:
>>
>> $ systemctl --user status jack
>> ● jack.service - JACK 2
>>    Loaded: loaded (/home/theophilus/.config/systemd/user/jack.service;
>> enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
>>    Active: inactive (dead)
>>
>> $ journalctl --user -u jack -b
>> -- Logs begin at Thu 2019-05-09 20:54:31 CDT, end at Thu 2019-05-09
>> 21:13:53 CDT. --
>> -- No entries --
>>
>> $ systemctl --user cat jack
>> # /home/theophilus/.config/systemd/user/jack.service
>> [Unit]
>> Description=JACK 2
>> Before=sound.target
>> Before=pulseaudio.service
>> Requires=dbus.socket
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=dbus
>> BusName=org.jackaudio.Controller
>>

> Among other things, the bus name seems to be incorrect. In jack2-dbus the
> only claimed name appears to be "org.jackaudio.service".
>

>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/jack_control start
>>

> The jack_control program does not spawn nor directly execute the actual
> jackd daemon. Instead it *remotely* activates org.jackaudio.service through
> D-Bus (you'll see jackdbus under the dbus.service cgroup), then sends it a
> single method call and exits.
>
> In other words, jack_control is not a Type=dbus service, it's a oneshot
> script that controls another Type=dbus service. You can imagine that it's
> just a wrapper around `dbus-send` or `gdbus call`, and is something you'd
> instead use in JACK's *ExecStartPost=*.
>
> A direct conversion of jackdbus to a systemd service would look like this
> – because of the way jackdbus is written, it always needs that extra
> command to be sent over D-Bus (either by running `jack_control start` or by
> using the manual tools):
>
> (~/.config/systemd/user/jack.service)
> [Service]
> Type=dbus
> BusName=org.jackaudio.service
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/jackdbus auto
> #ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/jack_control start
> #ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/gdbus call -e -d org.jackaudio.service -o
> /org/jackaudio/Controller -m org.jackaudio.JackControl.StartServer
> ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/busctl call --user org.jackaudio.service
> /org/jackaudio/Controller org.jackaudio.JackControl StartServer

I used this service file (thank you for providing it!), but it seems jack
is still not starting when the user logs in to the session:

$ systemctl --user status jack
● jack.service
   Loaded: loaded (/home/theophilus/.config/systemd/user/jack.service;
enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

$ ps -ef | grep jack
theophi+  1200  1183  0 09:30 pts/3    00:00:00 grep jack

$ systemctl --user status jack
● jack.service
   Loaded: loaded (/home/theophilus/.config/systemd/user/jack.service;
enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

$ systemctl --user cat jack
# /home/theophilus/.config/systemd/user/jack.service
[Service]
Type=dbus
BusName=org.jackaudio.service
ExecStart=/usr/bin/jackdbus auto
#ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/jack_control start
#ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/gdbus call -e -d org.jackaudio.service -o
/org/jackaudio/Controller -m org.jackaudio.JackControl.StartServer
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/busctl call --user org.jackaudio.service
/org/jackaudio/Controller org.jackaudio.JackControl StartServer

$ systemctl --user is-enabled jack
enabled

$ systemctl --user is-active jack
inactive

$ systemctl --user | grep jack

$ systemctl --user | grep bus
at-spi-dbus-bus.service
                           loaded active running   Accessibility services
bus
dbus.service
                          loaded active running   D-Bus User Message Bus
dbus.socket
                           loaded active running   D-Bus User Message Bus
Socket

If I start ardour (which makes use of jack) it (ardour) tells me jack is
not running.

I can start the jack service:

$ systemctl --user start jack

So...

How can I figure out why it is not starting automatically?

Thanks!

-m