[systemd-devel] Slice question

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed May 15 09:04:45 UTC 2019

Hi!

When I tried to put the instances of my service into a specific slice (by only specifying the name), I just got an error message.

I had:
[Service]
Slice=something

in the service unit file. Amazingly systemd does put my instances in a slice when I removed that Slice line. The slice is named "system-<my_service>.slice".

Three questions:
1) Is there a simple way to just rename the default slice?
2) Most services don't seem to have a slice associated (e.g. postfix.service, logd.service). What are the conditions that a slice is created?
3) Is there a useful example for slice settings? systemd.resource-control(5) is not really helpful (e.g. What is all that "accounting" useful for?)...

Regards,
Ulrich