[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Re: "bad" status for genersated target; why?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 15 09:17:23 UTC 2019

On Mi, 15.05.19 10:14, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> >> So there's nothing wrong with the unit?

The string shown on your version is a bug. Please ask your distro to
backport the fix for that, which has been merged upstream many years
ago.

> > It is exactly the opposite - symlinks are *the* official documented
> > method to configure unit dependencies; "systemctl enable" is just
> > convenience layer on top of it.
>
> To me it's the most horrible part of systemd: Messing with
> symlinks...

You should never need to. For all relevant operations there are
"systemctl" verbs, i.e. "systemctl enable", "systemctl disable",
"systemctl add-wants" and so on.

Note that the symlink stuff is inherited directly from sysvinit in
fact, where services where enabled/disabled via symlinks int
/etc/rc.d/ too.

But again, the fact that these are symlinks is something you can
ignore if you want to, just use the relevant systemctl commands
instead.

> My point was: Once  a generator generates a target, it should be "enabled"
> (see above), I don't see why I (or a program) should have to mess with symbolic
> links.

It never has to. A generated unit is shown as "generated" in all
systemd versions from the last few years in fact. Please ask your
distro to backport this.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin