[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Re: "bad" status for genersated target; why?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 15 09:54:43 UTC 2019

On Mi, 15.05.19 12:47, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > localhost:~ # systemctl enable usr-local.mount
> > > Failed to enable unit: Unit /run/systemd/generator/usr-local.mount is
> > > transient or generated.
> > > localhost:~ # exit
> >
> > Hmm?
> >
> > No? Why?
>
> You just said that "You should never need to. [mess with symlinks].
> For all relevant operations there are "systemctl"".

Yeah, for all user-facing operations.

Writing a generator is not a typical user would do. It's what a
developer of a package would do, and yes, in that case, when you write
code you need a bit more understanding of the underpinnings and need
to do more work.

> > generated units cannot be enabled, what am I missing?
>
> You are apparently missing context to which you replied. This
> discussion *is* about enabling generated units. Of course, we now
> again have problem that everyone implies different meaning of
> "enabled". To avoid this word altogether - generated unit can only be
> included in initial transaction if it is dependency of some other unit
> (already included in original transaction). You just claimed that to
> establish such dependency one should use systemctl and I demonstrated
> that this does not work. Either your claim is wrong, or the observed
> behavior is a bug.

Again, generators are written by developers, not regular users doing
day-to-day work. They assumed to be enabled as the developers intend
them to, and that's orthogonal to the manual enable/disable scheme
that applies to regular, package-shipped, file-based units...

Lennart Poettering, Berlin