[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Re: "bad" status for genersated target; why?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 15 10:18:01 UTC 2019

On Mi, 15.05.19 12:08, Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de) wrote:

> > I mean, if you want to persistently enable a unit that is converted
> > from something else, then please write your own converted, and write
> > something to /etc/systemd/system, there's no need whatsoever to bother
> > systemd itself with that, you shouldn't use generators for that.
>
> Sorry, I still don't get it: The only(?) difference is the path where they
> (units files) are found, and that the /run directory is volatile. Aren't the
> other differences not just "artificial"?

Please see:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.generator.html

i.e. generators are invoked whenever a reload cycle begins, and output
their units into a specific directories that are flushed our when the
reload cycle ends. i.e. everytime "systemctl daemon-reload" is invoked
the files generated on the current cycles are removed, and the
generators started again to generate a new set of files. Whateever
they generate has very clear, very volatile semantics: issue
"systemctl daemon-reload" and its all gone.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin