[systemd-devel] ExecStartPre checking conf

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon May 20 09:56:37 UTC 2019

On So, 19.05.19 11:45, Olaf van der Spek (ml at vdspek.org) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ExecStartPre is sometimes used to check the configuration. Does this
> make sense?

I don't think it does. I figure what people are actually looking for
is a way they can run a syntax checker on restart, before stopping the
old instance. But we do not provide such functionality (there's an RFE
about that though). Using ExecStartPre= for a syntax checker appears
pretty pointless to me, as yes, you just end up doing the same work
twice, and you might as well have the ExecStart= fail rather than the
ExecStartPre=, there's little benefit in that.

Lennart Poettering, Berlin