[systemd-devel] In unit files of systemd version 234 Type=notify not working

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri May 24 07:25:25 UTC 2019

On Fri, 24 May 2019 05:38:28 +0000
Rajshekhar Sanda <rajshekhar.sanda at tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We are building Genivi 14 in which we are trying to launch weston at boot time with service file.
>

> service file is as follows:
>

> [Unit]
> Description= launch weston
> Requires=  dbus-session.service dbus.service systemd-user-sessions.service
> After= dbus-session.socket dbus.service  dbus-session.service systemd-user-sessions.service  session-c1.scope
> ConditionPathExists=/dev/tty0
>
> [Service]
> Type=notify
> User=root
> Restart=on-failure
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/weston
> NotifyAccess=all
> PAMName=login
> StandardInput=tty-fail
> TTYPath=/dev/tty7
> TTYReset=yes
> TTYVHangup=yes
> TTYVTDisallocate=yes
> UtmpIdentifier=tty7
> UtmpMode=root
> TimeoutStartSec=60
> WatchdogSec=20
> #ExecStart=/usr/bin/weston
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=basic.target

> Here Type=notify is not supporting.
>
> I observed other types are working fine.

Hi,

you asked the same already:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-May/042657.html

I replied asking for more information:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2019-May/042658.html

Also the system logs you presented seem to be lacking any specific
error for the weston service unit. I can't say if that is for real, or
if you just trimmed it out of the logs.

Are you familiar with
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/merge_requests/39 which
attempts to document how exactly to launch weston from a systemd system
unit?

I never intended that to be used with the root user though. I have no
idea what running it as root would imply, but I would avoid it if at
all possible.

Since it looks like Weston gets killed by SIGTERM, I would think that
something outside of Weston is killing it deliberately.

Is /usr/bin/weston the actual weston executable or some wrapper script?

Does enabling session lingering work around the problem?

Thanks,
pq