[systemd-devel] How to get hardware watchdog status when using systemd

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue May 28 11:43:25 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 12:59:27PM +0200, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've enabled "RuntimeWatchdogSec=30" in /etc/systemd/system.conf
> (after reading excellent "systemd for Administrators" series [0]).
>
> Before enabling that "wdctl" printed nice statistics but now it only
> informs that the "watchdog already in use, terminating." I guess
> this is obvious as systemd is using /dev/watchdog now but is there a
> way to get more statistics about watchdog from systemd?
>
> Journal has only basic info that the setting is enabled:
>
> $ journalctl | grep watchdog

journalctl --grep watchdog

> kernel: NMI watchdog: Enabled. Permanently consumes one hw-PMU counter.
> systemd[1]: Hardware watchdog 'iTCO_wdt', version 0
> systemd[1]: Set hardware watchdog to 30s.

What kind of information are you after?
It is possible to query the systemd state:
$ systemctl show |grep Watchdog
RuntimeWatchdogUSec=0
ShutdownWatchdogUSec=10min
ServiceWatchdogs=yes

... but that's essentially the same information that you got from the logs
already.

Zbyszek