[systemd-devel] suggestion: auto reload as the default to help packagers?

Michael Chapman mike at very.puzzling.org
Fri May 31 11:28:45 UTC 2019

On Fri, 31 May 2019, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 31.05.19 um 12:31 schrieb Michael Chapman:
> > For RPM on Fedora, the systemd package has %transfiletriggerin and
> > %transfiletriggerun scriptlets that run automatically at the end of the
> > RPM transaction if units were installed or removed. This is the cleanest
> > approach since it means all changes from all updated packages are applied
> > at once.
>
> sadly that's all theory given that all services in Fedora are
> automatically hard restartet when packages are updated and "at the end"
> is too late when the service got restarted with the old unit but new binary

I actually got it slightly wrong: %transfiletriggerin and
%transfiletriggerun occur in the _middle_ of the transaction, in between
installation of new packages (or new versions of packages) and removal of
old packages (or old versions of packages). While %transfiletriggerin
does perform a daemon-reload, %transfiletriggerun simply stores a
flag that's picked up by a separate %filetriggerpostun scriptlet. That
reloads systemd.

So overall there shouldn't be any issues there. I don't recall seeing the
errors you're talking about.