[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn isolation potentially causing issues with distccmon-text

John graysky at archlinux.us
Wed Nov 13 15:24:22 UTC 2019

I am using systemd-nspawn to compile in a clean environment.  My
distcc cluster happily accepts requests from the container's build,
but the monitoring utility, distccmon-text, shows no output. I invoked
it defining the DISTCC_DIR variable to the correct directory in the
container.

I collected an strace of distccmon-text (linked below).  When I
compare it to an strace of distccmon-text running without the
container at all I see the following line as a key difference repeated
quite a bit:

kill(9307, 0)                           = -1 ESRCH (No such process)

I am wondering if some of the isolation used by systemd-nspawn is
causing the null output and am seeking advice to get it working if
possible.

Link to strace from the container:
https://gist.github.com/graysky2/0886025b60335de4c0b19ddf11f7aafb

Link to strace from the native system (no container):
https://gist.github.com/graysky2/ac54092625f0b67fc5c50cc5b10fc538