[systemd-devel] website

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 18 15:28:57 UTC 2019

On Do, 14.11.19 04:37, Nick Ham (contact at n-ham.com) wrote:

> Dear systemd,
>
> You've been nominated on Reddit (see
> https://old.reddit.com/r/opensource/comments/dvnugk/what_are_some_preferably_popular_open_source)
> for having a 'terrible website'.
>
> I am writing to offer help change that for you. I make the world's fastest
> website generator called Nift (https://nift.cc). It is cross-platform
> (bsd/linux/osx/windows) and open source (MIT license), up to 15 times
> faster than its closest rival Hugo and can handle building websites with
> millions of pages.
>
> Examples of websites made with Nift using HTML5 UP templates include:
>
>    1. https://nift.cc
>    2. https://tron.ai-bots.net
>    3. https://lvsportsclinic.com
>    4. https://n-ham.com
>
> Although Nift works awesomely for coding websites from scratch as well,
> HTML5 UP templates I have in mind for making websites for people with
> include:
>
> https://html5up-nsm-templates.github.io/alpha/
> https://html5up-nsm-templates.github.io/helios/
> https://html5up-nsm-templates.github.io/landed/
> https://html5up-nsm-templates.github.io/telephasic/
> https://html5up-nsm-templates.github.io/twenty/
> https://html5up-nsm-templates.github.io/txt/
>
> You can see the gitlab mirror of the source code for the Nift website at
> https://gitlab.com/nifty-site-manager/nifty-site-manager.gitlab.io , the
> files used to build the website are in the content and template directories
> and the built website is in the site directory. It would look pretty much
> the same for a systemd website made with Nift just using a different
> template and having different content etc..
>
> Let me know if you are potentially interested in pursuing a new website for
> systemd. I can be contacted at contact at n-ham.com

Well, it would be great to have a prettier website, but it's not
really about "generators" for web sites. It's mostly job of porting
the remaining wiki docs from the freedesktop.org webpage to markdown
documents (and cleaning them up while at it) in the main systemd repo
and then maybe adding in a prettier template than we currently use for
GitHub pages. We need something low maintainance, and that really
means for us that GitHub's own generators are used, and that our
documents are just Markdown, as GitHub understands that well.

Or in other words, the choice of generator is mostly dependent on
GitHub Page's choice of tooling. We really don't want to have
something we need to maintain and run ourselves, we don't want
anything that is exotic. We are not web people after all, and prefer
leaving those choices to GitHub if you so will.

Hence: if you want to volunteer to migrate/clean up the remaining fdo
wiki pages to Markdown, we'd be delighted to take a PR for that.

And yes, we'd also be delighted if you'd volunteer to update, improve
the GitHub template we use for http://systemd.io a bit, and in particular
work with Tobias Bernard (who designed the new systemd logo) to
integrate the new artwork into it.

But I figure that's not what you are interested in?

Lennart Poettering, Berlin