[systemd-devel] Journalctl --list-boots problem

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 15:40:52 UTC 2019

Yes, you could replace it with a custom service that generates a
predictable /run/machine-id (e.g. by hashing or hmac'ing the MAC address)
and then bind-mounts it on top of /etc/machine-id.

If you have a persistent data partition that's mounted on /data, I guess it
could be integrated just by adding a bind mount to /etc/fstab? I'm not sure
how machine-id-commit behaves.

Really it just needs to be done before journald starts, but for consistency
I'd actually do this from the initramfs to make sure it's present as early
as possible.

Mantas Mikulėnas